Back in engineering college ,of all the courses the one I hated most was Engineering workshop... My fellow mechanical engineers would sympathise with me on this ... The workshop was an old diaplated building which was hot and dusty and full of old sadist instructors who just loved screwing the happiness out of all students ...Bastards seemed to have a special disliking towards yours truely in particular coz I would never wear the mandatory all Khakhi Uniform to the workshop ...To be honest Id rather let go of some internal marks than walk around campus dressed like a watchman ...Last I heard , a couple of the old buggers had croaked ...Prolly some 4th year grad shoved a welding electrode up their asses ... But even more than the instructors ,What I hated most about the worksop was that screeching noise of metal rubbing metal in the fitting shop ... I still get jitters just thinking about the time I cut through a 4 inch plate of Mild Steel with a Hack saw ... 1 hour and 3 blades it took that fine Rajasthan summer afternoon ... Dont get me wrong here ... Its not like I am a wuss who dosent like to get his hands dirty...I always was a hands on person .. Now I might not be able to overhaul an engine , but I can change a flat tire or clean a spark plug or fix a busted elctric fuse ...Something which strangely a lot of guys I know cant ...Personally I think not being able to deal with even such basic handywork is just Gay ...
You must be wondering what reminds me of my experiences in the Mechanical Engineering Workshop. Well it all started when Mrs Prefect took me to Good Earth ... For the uninformed , Good Earth is a Home Deco store where you get seriously overpriced Junk in the name of designer furniture ... There was this log of wood which was supposed to be a coffee table ... Just a log of wood with a Glass top ....being sold for 20000/-!!! The "Designer" in all probability just hacked it off from a fallen tree by the road side...As much as Mrs Prefect just loved all the crap there , I thought the prices were more outrageous than what Vijay Mallaya paid for that useless loser team of His ...Neways , one arguement led to another and before I knew it , I was sworn to make a coffee table out of my own two hands using the "extensive Training" I got those 4 long years of my Undergraduation ... Fortunately ,just as I was wondering how I would get this mega Wodden foot out of my mouth ,my firm staffed me on a Project in Bangalore ... And I was off to the garden city away from that evil smile Mrs Prefect has every time she gets me cornered and also from that Strange huge hammer which I dont even know where she got from !!! Not that I couldnt have made a stupid wodden Table ... I could have made it ...
Neways , coming to my stint in Bangalore , its been O.K ... Personally I think this is the most over hyped city in the country ... the weather here has been killing ... May be not as disguesting as back home in Mumbai , but not pleasent by any standards either ... The traffic is horrible (I say that despite being a Mumbai resident) ... and the autowallas are fuking assholes who never want to go where you want to ...Also ,the much talked about pub culture in Bangalore was quite a let down ... Basically these so called pubs are just drinking joints full of wierd ass software engineers with their dirty beards and dishevelled clothes and cheap floaters...May be these wierdos are also the reason behind the total and complete absence of any good looking women at these places ...Not to mention that the Bangaluru night life rocks on all the way till 11 in the night!!!!Basically I am extremely disappointed by this city ...But I guess I am just being grumpy coz I am a lil home sick
The good part is the assignment I am working on ... My client is one of the largest beer Manufacturer in the World ;-)... and the office is right next to a Brewery ... I was really looking forward to stuffing my face with the beer straight from the VAT (Like Homer Simpson did at the Duff factory) ... Unfortunately ,I was told that that only happens in cartoons ... Not the first time I heard that one ...
PS: I know I havent been doing a good job of updating this useful informative blog ... Will try to be more regular ... Provided Mrs Prefect forgets all about that Coffee table...
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I must have been really missing this blog. I recently picked up two of Chetan bhagat's novels. The author's language reminded me of the much appreciated sense of humor on this blog.
Oh and that you called Mumbai home.. hasn't gone unnoticed. :D
EU - Nice to hear from you ... Howz it going ? As for Mr Bhagat , he made himself a fortune writing those novels... So I guess The similarity between is is extremely limited
thtz not the only similarity... chetan's wife is also into banking ;)
wb fordy
thanks for the reminder..so you know what you have to do this weekend..make a coffee table....Gud Luck
Mrs Prefect
Mr.Ford ...post after a very long time??!!
it reminded me of my workshop course
Kapil - Your data analysis and interpretation skills impress me
Phanindra - My apologies for bringing those memories back
Mrs Prefect - I demand total indemnity for anything written on this blog ...This is just not done ...
Bangalore used to be good!
Totally agree about the Pub culture in Bangalore.. Not to mention the absence of anything remotely related to beauty..!!(Excepting the drinks..!!) Seriously .. let me know of the preson who institutionalised the watchman code of dress conduct for workshops..
I have been reading ur blogs since long time bak.. Have read all of them actually.. Was just wondering what is it about Marriage that sent u off blogosphere..!! ;)
Nice 2 see u bak..
Well just in case Mrs Perfect demands..
1. How to Make an Inexpensive Coffee Table - http://www.ehow.com/how_13734_make-inexpensive-coffee.html
2. Build a Coffee Table - http://easywoodworking.swicki.com/Build+a+Coffee+Table/
Well it's all up to Mrs Perfect to ascertain the end product and decide if u actually need to revisit Good old Earth Again..!!!
Cheers..
-Ravi.
Post a Comment