Anyone who has been close to the insanity of a North Indian wedding knows that the one person no one gives a shit about is the groom ... Its like the dumbest most mundane job in the world ... In fact if one were to make a JD of being a groom , it would probably read like this -
=======================================
Title - Dulhe Raja
Position - Strictly Ornamental
Location - In a corner providing least hindrance to operations
Primary Job Responsibilities - The individual shall be responsible for being the butt of all the jokes for 5 days. He shall from time to time find himself in extremely challenging situations such as being surrounded by a hysterical group of middle aged women who shall smear ice cold gooey stuff all over you. You shall also be required to display great deftness in dealing with toddlers who shall stare at you non stop while their mothers run around shouting orders. You shall be accountable for nothing and no initiative or thought leadership is expected from you.
Qualifications - Any sort of previous experience in being a groom will lead to automatic disqualification. Must have extensively participated in Fancy dress competitions although clown dresses shall be provided by us. Experience in dealing with older folks is a definite plus and the ideal candidate shall be able to hear countless wedding stories from seriously old uncles who might fall asleep in the middle of their story.
Compensation - The selected candidate shall not be paid , but will enjoy perks including an unlimited supply of alcohol, all the food that you can eat and transportation in the form of a chauffer driven Horse.
=======================================
Now that doesn’t sound like something you would want to apply for does it? But then , its not a job you ask for , its thrust upon you ...5 months to my wedding ... I think that’s a lot of time ... Apparently I am wrong ... Its a war zone out here ... There is an all powerful Task force under the command of my Dad ... I swear to god , he has taken this role a bit too seriously ... He has appointed area commanders in all the major cities of Rajasthan who regularly go on reconnaissance missions to gather Intel on what’s the latest in the wedding market... And then they report back with the latest designs of Saris , the best hotels ,most reliable caterers etc etc ... In fact , last weekend ,an uncle of mine along with two of my cousins scanned all of Jodhpur looking at horses for the wedding... They only stopped after they found a spotless white one in a village 20 Km outside the city limits!!!...
Mine is the first wedding in my extended family in a very very long time , and understandably everybody has lost it ...completely... which is O.K ... The only problem is , no one asks me anything ... Last week , I decided to make my presence felt and told my dad that I plan to wear a suit to my wedding ... He just asked me to buzz off saying no son of his is gonna turn up at his wedding wearing a tie like a salesman ... He also asked me to start working out coz apparently I will be asked to carry the family sword around ... The damn thing weighs 15 kilos ... Frankly I am not too bothered dressing up in a beige Sherwani with chudidaar pajamas ... So Ill look like a gay ape … big deal ... What bothers me is that the photos and videos of the night are gonna haunt me till eternity ... Not to mention that the damn thing is gonna cost a fortune and shall have no use in the future ...Unless I make a career as a classical singer ... or a pimp ...
I tried gathering some support from my sis , but she is on a totally different trip of her own and told me to just shut up and do whatever was told to me ...
A lot of my friends with got married or are planning to do so in the near future ...P got married last year, Donthaveaclue and Trillian tied the knot a couple of months back, Monk is taking the plunge in August ... I wonder if all of them went through this too ... And if they put up a fight or did they just Shut Up……
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
Dude,
I asked you to migrate to Chennai long back. You could have even got converted by now. But who can escape what is there in his/her fate. I can only sympathize ;-)
Just to make you a bit jealous - Monk doesn't have to wear a sherwani (nor a suit), he doesn't have to carry a sword all around the place and most importantly there won't be any horse. Horses must be thanking heavens that Monk wasn't born in the North ;-)
Ram
Ram ... Just to make u jealous ... You will have to see Monk Topless at his Tam Bram weeding
ha ha ha ... U would be puking for a week man ...
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/MoneyInYour20s/YourFantasyWeddingForLessCash.aspx
Please visit this site Mr. Mathur, and be courageous now! what would your sword dangling forefathers think of this corwardly dastardly behaviour!!!
Oye Chipmunk ... Who u calling a coward and a...dastard ???
Oct 27th , you shall see my horse riding and sword slashing skills ...
Hmmm ... I will have to make arrangements so that I am not subjected to that torture.
But you are talking as though you won't be attending Monk's wedding .... I think I will have to talk to Monk about this and make sure you get to see him up close.
I guess they just shut up and realised a lot later it was totally worth it.
Congratulations on a wedding date and good luck.
Ram - Dude ... Nothing in hell can make me watch Monk topless again ...
As his ex quadie , I can safely assure you that the trauma of the experience will haunt you forever
EU - You think ?? And thanks for the wishes
Man....monks and your wedding are gonna be poles apart....but fun all the same :-)....
Ferrari
do something...tell them that ISB taught me to use all weapons i touch..! so the sword will hv to be used for the purpose it defines...
actually...nevermind...knowing the hysteria in ur family...they might fetch someone frm jodhpur and offer 200 bucks to hv his head chopped..
ask donthvaclue on how to deal with jodhpur folks..! :)
I was ordered 2 read this post specifically ! M glad i did..Nice one..btw, I wudn't let a single penny of ur investment in photos nd videos go waste..m sure they'll b a delight to watch..so send them across..will look fwd to them !
Ankur - I am afraid Donthaveaclue wont be much help ... My clan is very different from the one you guys saw at Trillians wedding. These people dont take no for an answer ...
Wizkid - Sure thing kiddo ... Ill have an album specially couriered to you ..
speak to Major... he'll give u the real horror stories of a North Indian wedding!
Shervani is not a bad idea dude... I hope it gives real sher vani (lion roar) to make your presence felt from then until .... !
G
Pavit - I am sure he will
G - U do have a point ..
congratulations and best wishes
Thanks Phaniendra ... Hearing from u after a long time ...
its been far too long since we've had even a normal conversation...
i'd invite you over but i know you're too much of a snob to come over until my place is properly set up..so what's our solution?
and how's all the prep coming along? you should really call us for advice :)
Ladies & Gentlemen,
Last week I had the priviledge of meeting Mrs. Prefect, and she's too sweet. She really deserves much more than our friend.
:p
~PSS
dude...strt travellin on the locals day in and out...ul get leaner n meaner bod not 2 frgt a good grip 2...wud certainly help wid the sword !
Many congratulations!
:D
i would focus on tongue lashing rather than sword lashing... i would hug you but for the fear of you drawing wood... amen!
Post a Comment