Friday, November 10, 2006

XPLOD....

Every now and then my dad gets these fatherly instincts and he picks u the phone to give his favorite son a call (It’s easy to be favorite when you are the only one) .... Normally these conversations are quite pleasant... It does get a lil tense when he asks me some seriously disturbing questions like why I am not Married yet ... Now I have made it abundantly clear to him that I am not gay … He’s never asked me if I am , but given how he doesn’t seem to be too convinced with the reasons I give for my single status , I thought it would be better to set things straight … so to speak ...
Unfortunately that isn’t the only uncomfortable thing we talk about in our Man-to-Man discussions ... It gets a whole lot messier when he starts quizzing me about my work ... When I left home for my first job, my dads final words to me were "Son, Work Hard" ... No "take care of yourself" , or "eat lots of fruit" , or "call when you get there" ... He asked me to Work Hard !!! It wouldn’t have been so hurtful but for the fact that he knows me since I was born and is totally justified in worrying that his son could actually get fired for not working the stipulated 8 hours a day...
Neways, coming back to the topic at hand, the uncomfortable thing about him asking about my work is that never once in my 5 year work life have I been able to satisfactorily explain to him what I do in office ... Most people who ask me about my current job are happy when I tell them that I am in consulting ... A select few do dare to ask me what sort of consulting I am in.... I tell them Management consulting or Strategy consulting or Ops consulting depending on my mood at that point in time ... People are too embarrassed to accept that they don’t know what management or strategy consulting is .. which is just fine by me coz neither do I ... Unfortunately none of my global gyaan answers work with my dad ... Having spent most of his life in industries across sectors and with a PhD in Industrial and applied psychology, he insists on knowing the details of my roles and responsibilities ... He once asked me to walk him through a day in my life ...Easier said than done given no 2 days in my job are the same ... Some days , I end up working like a dog from 9 in the morning to 12 in the night ... while on other days, I can be found fast asleep on my desk drooling like a dog on my laptop (Yeah its waterproof) ... Given these challenges , I take the easy way out and tell him that I am still in training and would let him know as soon as they put me on a live assignment ... O.K so I lie , but frankly speaking I think all that crap about honesty and truth is way too hyped up ... I say its much better to lie than to face a complicated uncomfortable situation ... Everybody does it in the animal world … The other day , I was watching this documentary on Penguins on Animal Planet … Turns out Penguins are quite unfaithful and underhanded creatures … They sleep around while their partners are away ,and push their friends into the water if a leper seal is around so that it isn’t them that gets eaten … And yet everyone thinks they are cute… There is however one thing I find quite cool about penguins … You see when they choose their mates , female Penguins go for the males with the biggest bellies coz they would be the ones with enough fat to last them the cold arctic winters … Now if human chics fancied big bellies like that , some friends of mine would have gotten laid big time…May be these guys should try them Eskimo chics … I tried impressing Trillian with my newly acquired knowledge about Penguins , but given her mood lately , all I heard back were some expletives way too graphic for me to post here … We have decided to take turns to vent out all our pent up anger at the world on each other … Its been her turn to be at the giving end for the last 2 weeks … Really looking forward to my turn …
Other than that , life is good … Like I said last time , work is hectic …Ohh and I almost forgot … Come Jan , I shall be the proud owner of a Hyundai Accent… After months of brainstorming, G, N and myself finally came up with a seriously complicated structured finance deal which would enable him to have a Chauffer driven City … N would be driving around in a bright red swift (That’s as bling as she could get in our three way deal) and yours truly shall now be stuck in traffic jams at Mahim Causeway in an air conditioned accent listening to pirated music on a seriously kickass Sony xplode system … Much better than listening to 93.5 red FM on my cell inside black and yellow Premier Padminis …

BTW ISB interviews this weekend … Wishing good luck to all candidates … In case any of you need any help , don’t hesitate to ask …

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

boss the offer to help came too late....btw are you on one of the panels...??

Maverick said...

hey ford,
good to see u back in action, blogging... :)

ela1ne1 said...

you still getting your kicks from animal mating documentaries i see. hows the weather in bombay;)

Ford Prefect said...

Anon - The offer was always on ... Hope you had a nice time at the interviews...

Maverick - Thanks dude ... Its nice to be in action ...

Elaine - I catagorically deny receiving any kicks from animal mating documentires ... I just watch Animal PLanet coz Its better than all the saas bahu crap on T.V ... And the weather in bombay is great... Its safe to fly ...

Anonymous said...

reading ur posts have always been a delight.....bt aap bhi thoda sa conulting ka gyaan battiye....wld be helpful. :)

Ford Prefect said...

Jasmine- Consulting is a very honourable profession ... There are some seriously kickass consultants from our batch and their blogs have explained the pros and cons of consulting in great detail ... Most notably itheabsolute.blogspot.com ...

Anonymous said...

Sorry yaar couldn't help you on the metrics. I couldn't get my hands-on the document before I left from here. Back now... those sick bas**** took away my Glenfidich saying I can't carry it on-board.

Re. Accent... buy a biege one with Sony Xplod & other accessories. The quadies can then keep matching cars with Mottu's Suburban in the middle. Chottu can piggy ride the Mottu... oops I meant 'hitch-hike' ;-)

BTW... when is the next flight to Alaska? :-)

Ford Prefect said...

Dude .. Its gonna be a black accent for me ... I might put neon lights under it if it fits my budget .. else Ill just put a couple of Tubelights and wrap them in blue plastic sheets ...
I am sorry about your loss.. But then jackass , why do you have to wait to buy scotch at the airport ?? You should have bought it before and checked it in ...
And whose going to alaska ???

Anonymous said...

blog ford..... i use your words to impress my gf:)

Anonymous said...

yeah neon lights... right !

Call it 'Pimp Mobile' and have a caricature of snoop dogg :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah neon lights... right !

Call it 'Pimp Mobile' and have a caricature of snoop dogg :-)

Ford Prefect said...

Anonymous - Use your own words .. Or atleast gimme some royalty ...

Monk - Wont it be cool ??
)