Monday, September 04, 2006

Hate Mondays !!!

One thing I really really suck at is shopping for clothes ... Its not like I have a bad taste in clothes, but whenever I get inside a mall , I get totally disoriented by all those colors there ... And this disorientation manifests itself in the form of clothes that I pick up ... I once picked up a jacket which I was later informed was actually made for skiing and the color coordination was designed to be easily spotted in case you are buried under an avalanche ... I was living in Jaipur back then and although the winters there get quite chilly, the chances of me being buried under an avalanche were extremely low ... That was the time my Good friend P decided to help me ... for the next few years , P helped me avoid florescent green shirts and bright purple pants ... After P left for the U.S , I turned to my Mom for help... A son who wants to take his mom to the mall ...can you imagine how happy she was with that situation ... Unfortunately. that arrangement couldn’t last long coz I freaked out when she started buying underwear for me ... all said and done , I am capable of picking up my own boxers ... BTW have you checked out the Tommy Hilfiger collections ... they have martini glasses printed on boxers ;-)... Gotta get me one of them...
Neways back to the topic at hand ... I used to worked for an IT services company ... They had a strict Monday and Tuesday Tie policy ... however if you have been around any IT park , you would have noticed that dressing sense is not something Software engineers are particularly fussed about ... in fact most people would just keep a tie in their drawer and put it on after they come to work ... The concept of matching ties with your shirt is completely lost on those folks ... In a consulting or banking environment ,things are a lil more formal ... So I thought it would be appropriate for me to pick up a few formals before my new job ... Took G along (remember no shopping alone resolution) ... We bought some nice shirts , except one that I wasn’t too sure about ... Its got one of those weird short collars ,double folded cuffs and worst of all its Pink... I grew up watching my sister dress her Barbie’s in Pink ... Blue is for boys and Pink is for girls ... that’s what I was always told ... but G insisted that Pink is the 'in' thing in corporate dressing ... he then picked up a pink tie to go with it ... I tried explaining him that my new job does not involve me dressing up as a drag queen, but the dude would just not budge ... reluctantly I gave in...
That was almost 3 weeks ago ... My plan was to forget about the shirt, wait for someone’s wedding or b'day or anniversary and gift him the homo shirt...
Unfortunately my plan was ruined because of a huge confusion with the washing machine and the stupid press-wallas decision to take a couple of days off ... So this morning, I found myself sitting on my bed and staring at the baby pink shirt hanging all by itself in my closet ... This is probably where the term "coming out of the closet" came from ... Man I hate Monday mornings...
Neways, G is right... lotsa guys in my office wear pink ... and I hear some of them are not gay ... I have folded up my cuffs and loosened my tie knot just to look a lil more butch ... if worse comes to worse, Ill start chewing some tobbacco and spitting around my desk ... or even better pick up a fight and beat the crap out of some blue shirted smart ass ... I could start watching porn and publicly make sexist remarks, but that would probably get me fired... May be I should burp loudly every 5 minutes ... They cant fire me for that ... and it would prove beyond a shred of doubt that I aint a panzy in pink ... However , there’s gotta be a better signaling mechanism ... Don’t worry .. Ill think of something...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

but the sexist comments come so naturally to you...maybe you should just go with that plan.

how's the spinal cord btw?

Ford Prefect said...

Trillian - Why do you want to get me fired ??? after I was so nice to you ... I put my spinal cord at risk just so that you could get a night of sound sleep ...

ela1ne1 said...

stop fretting silly ford... pink is very nice, and i've been studying about complexions, i think your base complexion is olive, so throw out your greens and browns coz they'ew supposed to do NOTHING for you.. u can wear pink, its da new "i'm comfortable with my sexuality color" for guys apparently.

and its nice to see u blogging regularly.

Ford Prefect said...

Thanks Elaine ... And what about the oranges ?? I mean the color you sick freak ...

Ford Prefect said...

Appu ,
I hate all mondays ... But having to wear a Barbie shirt on a Monday is just too much ...

educatedunemployed said...

I am amused to find you so insecure about your sexuality.Dude it is all about the personality and confidence.Not about clothes and definitely not their colour.

Ford Prefect said...

Baah ... What do doctors know ....
Dudette ,I dont get fussed aout colors ... or about my wardrobe ... But this happens to be the first Pink coloured cloting Ive ever worn ... Well there was this other time , but that was totally different... Neways my point is that I am not insecure ... just that I dont want the guys in my office to feel insecure areound me either ..

Anonymous said...

tell us about that other time....

Kapil said...

gawd ford...i bought a pink pinstripe linen shirt jst ystday...dun spoil it for me..

Ford Prefect said...

No can do Trillian ...
Kapil - Whatever makes you happy dude ..

Unknown said...

:-) boy, you're good! Yours is one blog i just can't wait to get the next edition of!!!

trill - how about doin up that blog of yours? eh?

educatedunemployed said...

Yeah actually I am also curious about that other time.
I second SB's request.Do tell us about that other time.:p

Ford Prefect said...

Ladies Ladies ... There is gonna be no more talk of the "Other" time ... I am sorry I even mentioned it ... But Please let this one go by ...

Spew - Aww cmon ... Now you are just pullling my leg .. But being the self obssesed narcissist sucker that I am , I shall let you praise me more ... so please go on.. Tell everyone How spectacularly awsomely magnificently bestest blogger I am ...

Anonymous said...

Wear a VHP cap. It might have unintended side effects but you gotta compromise eh? It's a pink shirt we're talking about.

Shreekanth

Anonymous said...

Dude...Pink is IN!!!...I was just reading an article about how everybrand is comingout with pink colors. Right from cell phones, deo`s to scooters and from what I hear from my brand managers...there is more to come along the same lines.

However you are right in one thing though, most of these products are being designed for women!!!

Anyways....dont question your sexuality dude. Isnt it obvious to you already....Bring it all "out of the clost" man!!! :)

Cheers,
Ferrari

Ford Prefect said...

Shreekanth - Whats a VHP cap ?? are we talking about Vishwa HIndu Parishad ?? If so , Im confused ... Why ??

Ferrari - May be I should design you a pink wheel chair .. Then I can break your leg again and make you prance around MG road on that thing to get market feedback ...

Nissim said...

Coming from Pink city and living with Pink you should have been utterly comfy with Pink... :)

Ford Prefect said...

Nissim - Dude ...Mr. Pink wouldnt be too impressed by this comment... I hope for your sake he doesnt read this coz hell be here next week... BTW book your tickets for mumbai ... we have a lot of fun and extra curricular activities planned for his batchlors...