Thursday, August 10, 2006

Suited Booted and no where to go ...

Back in ISB , folks used to think a lot about the jobs they wanted... Everybody had their wants and want nots from their careers. Some were crystal clear on the industries they wanted to be in , some on the roles they wanted to get in and some had obscene amounts of moolah their greedy minds ... As for me , I wasnt too sure as to what I wanted from my job... but there was one criteria I had ... I wanted a job where I could wear a suit to office ... My friends used to make fun of it a lot , but I had my reasons ...
See when you wear a suit to work , it inherently implies a lot of things.
For starters ,it means that you arnt doing too bad on the money front coz how else could you afford a suit (its costs a bloody fortune to dryclean them).
People dont care what you say.. They always assume its something smart .. Coz hey you dont get to wear a suit if you aint smart..
They also assume you are quite dedicated and dependable ... After all its the middle of the monsoon and you are wearing clothing originally designed for gentlmen in North West Europe ... It could either mean that you are committed or mentally retarted ... And you cant be mentally retarted coz retards dont wear suits...
All in all a suit job = a good job ... That was my theory and I was quite convinced by it ... So much so that I quit my cushy job and moved to Mumbai...
My first few days have been quite nice ... G keeps telling me that sooner or later reality will hit me and I would wonder what I have gotten myself into ....Hasnt happened in the last 26 years , dont see why it would any time soon ...
I was quite excited about my first day at work .. and not just coz I was wearing a suit ...The omens were all good ... I joined on the 7th of august 2006 which is 786 ...Remember the lucky number Amitabh carried around in coolie which ulimately got him shot by his own lil brother... Also my joining day saw the worst rains in Mumbai this season ... The Managing Partner of the firm said its lucky to arrive when it rains ... I suspect the idea is better suited for farm hands in arid rural India ... What the hell ... farm hand , Consultant ... big diff ... We all shovel shit at the end of the day ..
The people are quite nice ... I report to a CXO , so I guess I will have to start taking the boss figure in my life a lil seriously ... My previous bosses were O.K , but the moment I found that they did not have the authority to fire me , I kinda lost respect for them ... Well this guy can fire me , so I better be careful...
Met the partners of the firm ... Doesnt it sound cool "Partner of the firm" ... Personally I would like the designation "His worshipful dictator for life king and emperor of all that is dead and alive" ... But I guess that wont happen ... I can live with Partner...
One of these partners tried to explain me the challenges of managing growth through Thought Leadership as opposed to growth through operational efficiency... I gave him my 'I understand every word you say and share your thoughts on live the universe and everything'... After that my boss explained my highly critical , totally pivotal, very important role in the firm ... I gave him the nod again ... I asked him where the pantry was ... He said Down the hall and left ... Finally I understood something ...
All in all its been good going so far ... I do miss Hyd ... I miss waking up at 10 and reaching office at 10:45 ... I miss the wide open roads... I miss not wasting 10% of my day travelling ... and I definitely miss the Biryani ... But then I guess all thats a small price to pay for getting to wear a Suit

PS: I was told that I only have to wear suits for client engagements ... Darn ..

16 comments:

educatedunemployed said...

Oh wait till you will travel by train one day and even master it, albeit in a suit.:D
ps: comments not to be responded with swear words please.

Ford Prefect said...

Ships - Koalas dont get to wear anything ... Personally I like that option a lot better than wearing a suit ...

EU - I guess I have to take the train ride to get a hang of the spirit of mumbai.. (I wanted to use atleast 3 swear words in this sentence
)

Anonymous said...

I thot you were buying a car..

Vinay.

Anonymous said...

So which firm are u working 4 in mumbai mr. consultant? post some real crappywrk abt consultants as well :P

Anonymous said...

kya baat hai Ford.. consultant shunsultant.. wah.. mera seena garv se 2 inch aur chauda ho gaya..
Way to Go..

Ford Prefect said...

Vinay - I still am Thinking ...and will continue to think till I figure out th funding of my car ...

Anonymous - crappywrk ?? What crappywrk ??

Anonymous - Aap kyoon chaude ho rahe ho ??

Anonymous said...

You need to really think hard Ford..You spent 16 lacs on an MBA degree to come up with waering a Suit = nice job... :o)

And pls excuse my knowledge on this one...but now you wrk for the CXO - what is that post ?? ...incharge of decorating the office for X-mas ?

Vinay.

Ford Prefect said...

Vinay - Both General Awareness and Sense of Humor have taken a beating this fine Saturday Morning... Dude take a brak , uve been working too hard ..

Kapil said...

dude...i share ur predicailment ...wanna wear a suit 2 wrk2 ...but cnt seem 2 have the oppor 2 ...

guess what ..my kid bro whoz preparin for CAT iz tellin me tht he will attend classes in suits only if he gets in 2 an IIM ;)
cnt stop laffin

ela1ne1 said...

I quite empathize with u ford.. i have to wear suits only for client engagements too:(... its such fun wearing suits.

Ford Prefect said...

Kapil .. Thats quite an imaginative use of the number 2 ... I only use it to refer to ... Never mind ..

Elaine - Can you pick me a couple of suits in Dubai and send them along with Ships ... A Hugo Boss and a Armani would be nice ... Thanks Ur the best ...

Kapil said...

grrrrrrrr

educatedunemployed said...

Hahahaha..I have enjoyed that. ;)
Oh BTW since u r so hell bent on making money out of me too, how about going shopping like you promised.You do have a good choice I see.

Ford Prefect said...

EU - I dont exactly know what going shopping means ... I hope it doesnt involve me reaching for my wallet , coz theres isnt anything in it anyways ...
And what exactly did you enjoy??...
Kapil dude whats with the growling noises ?? Now that we have an inhouse Doctor on the Blog , may be you could use some free consultation for your upset stomach .. Dr. Grunthos please help my friend out..

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Up conversion dvd players Lojwest prices on digital cameras key-ring digital camera 1996 dodge ram laramie Digital camera fuji review Skin care and facial care

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »