Friday, July 21, 2006

Decision .. decision ..

Never liked taking decisions... I know it’s a sign of mental weakness and decisiveness is the key to strong leadership blah blah blah and more blah...Sue me...
I like to sit on the fence... The fence is a good place to sit... It’s a lil uncomfortable but then Id rather be there and watch both sides than jump on one side and never know what’s happening on the other...
Another reason I hate decisions is that when faced with a choice, I always chose the one which makes no sense...

I did my undergraduate from REC Jaipur in Mechanical engineering even though I wanted to be an electronics engineer. And was offered a seat in electronics in REC Bhopal...
Reason - I thought life would be a lot chiller in Jaipur as most of my moms family is settled there...

In the end it wasn’t all that bad coz the reason I wanted electronics was pretty screwed up too...
Reason - I thought as an electronics engineer , I’d spend most of the time in Air conditioned places as opposed to a mechanical engineer who has to work on the hot shop floor (told you …screwed up reason)...

A few years later, I got myself an admit in IIM - I ... Given that I really really wanted to do a MBA, and had worked quite hard to clear CAT, I was quite pleased with myself. But then decided to pack my bags and leave for Brighton U.K instead...
Reason - I had never been abroad before (apart from that trip to Nepal my dad keeps reminding me of, but I have no memory about)... Plus I was told you get like 50 different types of beer in England... This I had to see to believe...

Of course the biggest decision of my life was to join ISB. For the first time, I was dead sure about something... Of course G tried to shake me up a lil and asked me to think really hard before throwing all my hard earned money away and join ISB for the proper reasons... Well they were proper all right...
Reason - I didn’t really work very hard for this money ...And what else am I gonna do with all these sterling pounds anyways...

So till date , I have an undergraduate degree I didn’t want , from a college I shouldn’t have gone to. Do not have the two all important ‘I’s on my resume and weep like a sissy girl everytime my bank sends me a statement…
Am facing another choice … a Big one … Huge one…Life or death kinda ... Well not really … its just a career shift decision … Wish me luck …

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use the ol' trusted coin. Can't go wrong.

educatedunemployed said...

Good luck.U seem to have done well for ur self so far.wonder why things would go wrong now?

Anonymous said...

Dude...

Wats happening...Best of luck with the decision anyways!!

Ferrari

don'thaveaclue said...

one tip: forget abt the exchange rate...might help

ela1ne1 said...

i think your aimless drifting has worked beautifully so far... (i should know, it works for me too!)... so.... just do what u wanna do, what your gut feel tells you and you'll be perfect.

Ford Prefect said...

Anon - The Ol trusted coin wont cut it this time ...

EU - Oh things can go wrong ... Big time..

Shipra - With friends like this....

Ferrari - Will let you know in a coupe of days... And thanks for your wishes..

Donthaveaclue- For someone called donthaveaclue , you seem to be quite on top of things ;-) ... But yeah you are right .. the exchange rate messes it all up ..

Elaine - If I start doing all the things I wanna do , Id end up in Jail ..

Kapil said...

whtz u plannin 2 do ...hope not settin up a franchised dance bar chain !

waise whatz the tradeoff ? I wud say that at this stage of ur career can afford to make choices ..now is the time to go for your dreams and seek challenges !! U can always have a 9-5 job later

ps- even i wanna chuck it all n strt farming !!

Ford Prefect said...

Kapil- Dude...Dance bar???

Shipra- Coz I know you'd still love me ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dude.. dont worry at all.. Looking at your blog.. rationally, things cant go worse.. so go ahead...

CK said...

ford perfect visited my blog!

even i am touched :p

btw, really liked your intially blog posts esp the trauma tranforms one! rite now MDI is keen on pulling this one on poor old me :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ford

Anonymous said...

So have the decisions been made?
How about an update now.Pronto!

Anonymous said...

Watch Omkara.. You'll feel better about yourself.. seriously!

Ford Prefect said...

Dexter- enjoy the Trauma man... Its themost fun I had ..

Phanindra - Cheers Mate ..

Anonymous - I will ... May be not Pronto

Dawn Always - Definitely ... If a bunch of crazy trigger happy Biharis dont make me feel better , I doubt anything else will ;-) ... Ive heard its an awsome movie ...

Wundergal said...

HEy Ford, heard u were on campus last weeknd and were asking abt me...I dinno u were around - it would have been nice to meet the man behind the humor - hmmm next time maybe...

-S

Ford Prefect said...

Wondergal - I was lookin forward to meet the bloggers from your batch ... Koi nahi next time .. I might be back in campus for Solstice ...

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP inkjet printers Therapy combination of risperdal and klonopin Weather report lucerne valley ca Gmc truck recall audi a3 16 fsi engine problems 1962 convertible thunderbird 72 gmc under seat sub boxes Obtain vardenafil hydrochloride on line Bentley continental r low profile tyre Free upskirts gallerie